Monday, April 12, 2010

In Memorium: Dixie Carter

Time moves on, things change...when you're a young individual, these things don't resonate in your head but as I find myself progressing in years I've finally come to understand that nothing lasts forever. As of late, the entertainment industry has seen the passing of some great cherished performers and Dixie Carter is certainly among the best. Dixie was that down to earth, independent southern matriarch, Julia Sugarbaker, that I welcomed into my home every week.

Aside from her "Designing Women" days, Dixie was an accomplished stage actress. Dixie made her professional debut in "Carousel" and then onto Shakespeare's "A Winter's Tale". Divorced twice, I believe she found true love with her surviving spouse, actor Hal Holbrook. The two worked together professionally many times on "Designing Women" and in 2009's "That Evening Sun" for which they were both nominated and won a Special Jury Award. Dixie Carter's television success continued past her Sugarbaker days, with stints on "Family Law" and most recently "Desperate Housewives" for which she garnered and Emmy nomination for 'Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series'.

I will always remember Mrs. Carter first as a lady of class and distinction, but I will cherish her as that warm and sharp-witted Julia Sugarbaker, a beloved character that audiences can enjoy for years to come. Thank you for the memories Mrs. Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment