Sunday, September 6, 2009

Review: "(500) Days Of Summer"

I'm just back from the local cinema and I have to say that I've really spent my time and money wisely. Unsure of what I wanted to see, I took a chance on a recommendation from a co-worker and have really viewed something completely unique and most importantly, entertaining.

Director Marc Webb has created a cinematic romance for the ages, though not your typical happy ending, it has an honest depiction of the joys of a blossoming romance and the painful truths of unrequited love. The insight is genius and at several instances I found myself reeling on several of the emotions of past relationships. This arousal was highest during the split screen 'expectation / reality' sequence. The fine line between friendship and love did the old balancing act and personally had me hoping love would prevail. Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel's onscreen chemistry was convincing throughout and purposeful.

The only distraction was the interspersed narrative which seemed unnecessary and stated the obvious, in turn, quite possibly talked down to viewers. However, the highlights of the film were the whimsical musical interludes. The most enjoyable ensues when Tom (Gordon-Levitt) makes his way to work through the city in an enjoyable dance sequence to Hall & Oates "You Make My Dreams".

Packed with plenty of laughs, usually provided by Tom's pals, and quirky situations made for a most enjoyable outing. I have added "(500) Days of Summer" to my 'All-time favorites' list and highly recommend that everyone see this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment