Sunday, September 27, 2009

Review: "Pandorum"

Redemption at last! Lately I've endured the most insipid cineplex experiences and today that streak has come to it's conclusion. In dire need of a truly spectacular sci-fi adventure, I purchased my ticket hoping for the prime experience I've been denied. "Pandorum" offered a bevy of visual delights and incessant distress, beyond any conceivable notion of my own.

Aboard a desolate spaceship, whose destination is another habitable planet after Earth is depleted of it's natural resources, two flight crew members wake from a lengthy hyper-sleep to find themselves alone and without an inkling of who they are or of their mission operative. In a desperate attempt to keep themselves alive Bowen (Ben Foster) strikes out in an attempt to reset the core reactor to prevent the obliteration of their existence, or the extinction of the human race. Bowen is thwarted in his attempts to reach the reactor by mutated beings he must learn to evade at all costs. Keen on killing all the incubated human cargo, the mutants systematically bait the small band of fighters that Bowen has discovered. The journey is perilous and fraught with spine tingling chills.

"Pandorum" reminded me of a cross between "Aliens" meets "Event Horizon" meets "Supernova". Regardless of the similarities to the aforementioned films, "Pandorum" does stand on it's own merit. I found the film fresh and captivating while the storyline unfolds nicely with extremely well paced development. I felt the desperation and urgency. Ben Foster carries the film and is superb in every aspect.

I gave this film a 9 out of 10 stars, extremely entertaining and a suspenseful thrill ride, not to mention the shocking twist. "Pandorum" is definitely among my top sci-fi films of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment